Posted: July 9, 2012 at 7:27 am, Last Updated: September 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm
As a follow up to the email message by Dr. Merten and me on June 7, I want to provide an update about organizational changes coming in the next few weeks.
Since Senior Vice President Morrie Scherrens announced in early May that he was leaving Mason to become President of Newberry College, we have developed plans for a transfer of authority without interruption while a search for his replacement is conducted. The following individuals will take on additional responsibilities and will report to me as of August 10 when Morrie leaves the Mason family:
- Campus Access (traffic, transportation and parking) and the Police will report to Tom Calhoun, Vice President of Facilities.
- Budget and Auxiliary Enterprises will report to Beth Brock, Associate Vice President/Controller.
- Environmental Health and Safety will report to Linda Harber, Associate Vice President for Human Resources/Payroll.
Other functions that had reported to Morrie will shift as follows:
- Institutional Research and Reporting as well as Regional Campuses will report to Peter Stearns, Provost/Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Intercollegiate Athletics, Internal Audit, Counsel’s Office and Government Relations will report to the Office of the President with Chief of Staff Frank Neville handling day-to-day contact.
As you know, Sandy Scherrens will also be leaving us in December 2012. Upon Sandy’s departure, Rose Pascarell has agreed to serve as interim Vice President for University Life.
Please join me in thanking Tom, Beth, Linda and Rose for their willingness to step up and take on key leadership roles during this time of transition. I look forward to working with them and having their active participation on the Executive Council.
Also, I have asked Professor Sarah Nutter to extend her term as Presidential Fellow for the next academic year to help me coordinate an inclusive process to gather input from our multiple internal and external constituencies and craft a new vision for Mason.
In addition to the searches to replace Morrie and Sandy, I remind you that we are in the midst of a search for a new Vice President for University Relations. Given Mason’s reputation, success, and positive momentum, I am confident that we will attract numerous world-class candidates for these three positions.
Let me close by congratulating Morrie for his appointment at Newberry College, which I consider a testament to his professional caliber and recognition of the immense service he has provided to George Mason University. His advice to me over the last few months has been invaluable and his commitment to managing a smooth transition, exemplary. I am sorry I will not get to work very long with him nor Sandy, and I wish them both a very successful new chapter in their lives.
Thank you for all you do to carry out the mission of George Mason University.
Write to David Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org