George Mason University was one of only four schools in Virginia and four in the greater Washington, D.C., area to be included among the prestigious 2018 Academic Rankings of World Universities by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy.
Mason was ranked among the top 95 universities in the United States and one of the top 300 in the world.
“These rankings are a fitting recognition of the outstanding work of our world-class faculty,” Mason President Ángel Cabrera said. “They are a reflection of our university’s commitment to providing access to excellence, to serving the largest and most diverse student body in Virginia with the same caliber academic talent until now mostly restricted to elite institutions.”
The Antonin Scalia Law School rose to No. 18 in the world from its No. 29 spot in the 2017 rankings. Mason’s public administration studies also rose to No. 40 worldwide from No. 46 in 2017.
Mason’s Department of Economics is ranked among the top 30 in the world. Mason’s communication studies and political science studies are ranked in the top 75.
In the top 100 are library and information science, education and atmospheric science. In the top 150 are management and public health. In the top 200 are business administration, finance, psychology, and hospitality and tourism management. In the top 300 is nursing. In the top 400 are computer science and engineering, clinical medicine and earth science. In the top 500 are electrical and computer engineering.
ShanghaiRanking considers every university that has any Nobel Laureates, Fields Medalists, Highly Cited Researchers or papers published in nature or science. Universities are ranked by several indicators of academic or research performance, including alumni and staff awards, Highly Cited Researchers, papers published in nature and science, papers indexed in major citation indices and the per capita academic performance of an institution.
Here are the rankings:
- The Antonin Scalia Law School ranked No. 18 in the world.
- Economics studies ranked among the top 30 in the world.
- Public administration studies ranked No. 40 in the world.
- Communication and political science studies ranked among the top 75 in the world.
- Atmospheric science, library and information science and education studies ranked among the top 100 in the world.
- Public health and management studies ranked among the top 150 in the world.
- Hospitality and tourism management, psychology, business administration and finance studies ranked among the top 200 in the world.
- Nursing studies ranked among the top 300 in the world.
- Clinical medicine, computer science and engineering and earth science studies ranked among the top 400 in the world.
- Electrical and computer engineering studies was ranked among in the top 500 in the world.